Saturday, June 30, 2007

T-Shirt Quilt

As I went though undergrad, I seemed to collect T-shirts. Lots of them. Mostly for free. Now that I am all grown up (ha!), I decided that it's time to cut the shirts to bits and turn them into some sort of throw. Which, since I have so darn many, is quickly turning into at least a twin-size blanket. I keep having to go back to the store to buy more interfacing, as I am lining the knit T-shirt fabric to keep it from being stretchy. I can't decide if I want to make it 4 squares by 5 squares or by 6 squares. I think I will do some fabric math today to see if 6 yards of material will be enough for backing and for the sashing. I also need to decide how I want to layout the squares. That's always the challenge in quilting, eh? My first thought was to do it randomly, but I am also leaning toward making diagonal stripes of each color of shirt. Either way, it is sort of a lot of work for a silly T-shirt collection. I am really much more of a knitter!



Speaking of knitting, here is a piece of a preemie hat I started about 4 times while helping the high schoolers at Upward Bound to learn to knit. I have some purple polar fleece sitting in my closet that I will probably (at some point...) sew some flannel to so I can donate it. We'll see when that gets accomplished though... (and man, oh man is my couch ugly. I tried not to get a picture of the giant rips that my toes get caught in all the time, but even the pattern is awful...)



Also, this turtle pattern is the freaking cutest thing I've ever seen! http://crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40998



I think my turtle's head turned out too big, so I sort of got frustrated and stopped for awhile. I'll probably finish it (and a few more!) this weekend. I dunno if I should start the head over, and try to use fewer stitches, or just have a giant head turtle. If I could get them as cute as on the website, I think they would make cute little gifts to give people who are nice!

No comments: